Friday 17 July 2015

A Purl Bee gathered skirt

I was so excited to sew this new pattern from Purl Bee... in fact the very day that I first saw the pattern I went and purchased intended fabric. Sadly that fabric has been added to the pile. Washed and ready, but not yet used. And possibly won't be for this skirt. This is the gathered skirt for all ages - so summery! Sensibly I made a test skirt first which is still unfinished as it is looking rather unflattering. Maybe something miraculous will happen in the finishing steps, but I'm not sure I have found my go-to easy adult skirt. Anyway, more of that another time (when you may, or may not, get to see the finished make) and this pattern is certainly a nice addition to the sweet girl's skirts list
 All that gathering... sweet for a girl, maybe not so for an adult. It is the construction of the pockets that make this skirt so lovely, though I think I prefer a simple elasticated waistband rather than the separate waistband in this pattern. Maybe next time I could combine a lazy days and these pockets - it would mean adding side panels to a simply gathered skirt but it could be done. Because it would be worth it for those pockets
Oh, and another thing is that Molly's Mummy mentioned that this skirt is a bit short, so it may be worth adding an inch or two if you too prefer your little girl in a longer style.

Pockets just had to be some of Lizzy House's cattitude (purchased from eternal maker last year, sadly no longer in stock) for the cat loving Molly, and happily for me using something from the pile. But of course nothing suitable to go with, so a trip to fabric rehab resulted in this gloriously ditsy fabric... which I can no longer remember the name of and it doesn't appear to be on their website... OK, stopped this laziness and have retrieved fabric from the threatening to topple pile, and I believe it is Sevenberry's ditsy on white.  Ditsy florals and kits... perfect. Happy birthday, Molly!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty, pretty, pretty! What a lucky girl to get such a lovely hand made skirt and the fabric choice is, as always, spot on!

    ReplyDelete